Time to shout

There comes a time when you have to stand up and shout:

This is me damn it! I look the way I look, think the way I think, feel the way I feel , love the way I love! I am a whole complex package. Take me...or leave me. Accept me - or walk away! Do not try to make me feel like less of a person, just because I don't fit your idea of who I should be and don't try to change me to fit your mold. If I need to change, I alone will make that decision.


Monday, March 1, 2010

Greek Phyllo Wraps











Makes about 8 or 9 wraps
Total time, about 1 hour

3 T. olive oil
1 Cup onion, diced
2 t. garlic, minced
1 1/4 lb. ground turkey
1/2 Cup red bell pepper, diced
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1 T. dried oregano
1/2 t. kosher salt
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 t. ground nutmeg
1/2 t. black pepper
1/2 Cup scallions, chopped
4 qz feta cheese, crumbled
16 sheets (9x14) phyllo pastry
3/4 Cup olive oil
fresh Dill sprigs

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, saute onion about 3 minutes, add garlic, saute 1 minute. Stir in turkey and cook 5 minutes, or until browned. Add bell pepper, lemon juice, and seasonings, cook 1 minute. Remove from heat, spoon off any excess fat. and cool 5 minutes. Stir in scallions and feta.

Preheat oven to 425 f.

Brush 1 phyllo sheet with oil, place sprig of dill about one inch from top, centered. top with a second sheet, brush with oil. Spoon 1/2 cup of turkey mixture on the short end, leaving a 1" margin. Fold sides in over mixture, (about an inch) then roll. The dill sprig should end up on top, with the seem side underneath. Place seam side down on baking sheet lined with foil, brush with oil. repeat with remaining turkey, phyllo, and oil.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until browned. Let stand 5 minutes to cool. Serve with big mixed green salad.

Pictures to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment